Aligning our Leadership Structure to meet our Mission, Vision, and Values
A vision without a task is but a dream;
A task without a vision is drudgery;
A vision and a task is the hope of the world
-Printed on a church Sussex England around 1730
Our leadership structure begins with our Rector (Senior Pastor). The biggest task of the Rector is keeping this big ship going in the direction of the vision and mission. That includes being a preacher, pastor, sheep-herder, cheerleader, mediator, planter, harvester and visionary. That being said:
- The fundamental purpose of the Rector is to preach and teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- The Rector is also to establish a Christ centered Vision of the church and leading accordingly.
- Fundamentally, the Rector also serves as Chief Pastor. The term pastor comes from the Greek word “poimen” meaning shepherd, as used in Ephesians 4:11, “And He gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers”. The term is often used to denote one who gives spiritual guidance and counsel.
So, the purpose of the Rector is to:
- Preach and Teach the Gospel
- Establish and lead according to the Vision
- Serve as Chief Pastor
Vestry (11 Member Lay Leadership Board of the Church):
Most importantly, the Vestry exists to be the:
- Chief Ambassadors of the vision
- Owners of the vision
- Shapers of the Vision
In short, the vestry exists to represent the vision to the parish. Church law also requires the Vestry to be the chief stewards of all finances and buildings.
Chiefly, the staff exists to implement the vision as created and shaped above.
To align our staff with our Mission of:
Mobilizing for the Transformation of Hearts Through Jesus Christ
We have divided our staff (and key lay leaders) into three areas:
We realize that it is difficult to see hearts transformed unless there has been intentional mobilization (the walls of Jericho fell only after a mobilized march). So under mobilization, we have two key areas of focus:
This is another big engine room that covers discipleship. This team includes ministries of:
- Prayer Ministry
- Ministries to the Home (transforming the hearts of our youth to our seniors)
This area focuses on outreach, specifically to our ‘key’ ministry destinations. Following Acts 1:8, this team includes task forces to empower our congregation to transform hearts in: