For the past few years there has been a loosely-organized effort to draw together men who are curious about how to deepen their Christian faith (or discover it really for the first time). It has included monthly lunches at St. Phillip’s (on the first Wednesday of each month) with a layman speaking to crowds of 100+, and occasional dinners at St. Michael’s such as our fall “Wild Game Dinner” that drew about 135 men to a very crowded Kinloch Room.
In addition to these efforts St. Michael’s men have gone on hiking trips to the NC mountains, and there have been periodic gatherings of smaller groups of men who enjoy everything from hunting to skiing to water volleyball.
These overtures have helped swell the number of Life Groups at St. Michael’s that cater especially to men. There are at least four of these that meet weekly – most of which meet at the Church either for breakfast or during the lunch hour.
Now, however, we have decided to formalize this initial effort by creating a Steering Committee focused on men’s ministry. Headed by Todd Brown, and with a growing group of committed members, this Steering Committee will begin planning events on a regular basis, and seek to find ways to connect men with the Church.
Specifically, we hope to tap into the very real concerns of men and to help isolated and peripherally-connected men rediscover that the Christian life is an exciting adventure and not a dull duty. Stay tuned.
- Monthly luncheons held in conjunction with the men of St. Phillips and other downtown churches. First Wednesday of each month. Noon. Held at St. Phillips. Click here to see next month’s speaker.
- A men’s hike in the North Carolina wilderness.
- A winter ski break for the hale and hearty: held in Vail, Colorado. Mid February. Numbers are limited.
- Periodic men’s suppers, held at various homes, with speakers and men usually doing the cooking themselves.
- Several all-male Life Groups meet weekly – usually early in the morning or at noontime. Call the church office for more information.
- The Diocesan men’s conference. Held late winter at Camp St. Christopher. Inquire of the Diocese for more information.