Why the White Hair?
If you have seen the St. Michael’s Homepage and the Christmas greeting from the staff, you may wonder why I have white hair in the picture. Well, the long answer is that each year at our staff party, in addition to gift giving and a wonderful lunch, we also have several testimonies of faith and a self defacing skit produced by the clergy team. This year we had tremendous and powerful testimonies by Capers and Jodi Barr. We also did a skit spoofing our very own the Rev. Dr. Peter Moore. What was I doing with white hair you ask?
Well…. The clergy team decided to spoof Peter as the World’s Most Interesting Man. We took that theme from the current Dos Equis commercials seen on television. So, Hamilton Smith, Ted McNabb, Doug Peterson, Charlie Baldwin and I all dressed up like Peter Moore (he didn’t know it was being done) and walked into the staff party.
Here is a portion of our roasts and toasts to a man we all love:
- When I wear stripes, polka dots and plaids they match.
- At Yale my Majors were: Sailing, Cigar Appreciation, and the Tango
- When I step on the tennis court, men half my age run for fear of me… you’ve never seen 50 year olds run so fast!
- While dating Mary Poppins, I taught her the word “supercalifragilisticexpialidocious”.
- To keep things fair during a tennis match, I use a racket without strings.
- Last week, the Apostle Paul asked me to help him understand his letter to the Romans.
- I once shielded an entire native village from an erupting volcano … with my hair.
- During my last trip to Yemen, I defeated an entire cell of Al Qaida operatives with just my pocket comb.
- I have bow ties that I only wear to sleep in.
- Men have been converted to Christianity just by looking into my eyes.
- I dream in Biblical Greek
- A hair on my head once thought about getting out of place ….but it was only a thought…and only once.
- In heaven the hairs on your head are numbered. But the hairs on my head are named.
- In investigating alternative energy resources Santee Cooper once thought of connecting solar panels …to my smile.
- Google modeled their search engine…on my brain.
- The editors of GQ call me twice a year to find out what young men are wearing.
- When I am windsurfing, the Coast Guard is on standby….to rescue those who swoon upon seeing me.
- My contact list is so powerful Barack Obama asked for it…twice.
- I don’t always preach a sermon, but when I do the Pope asks for a copy. I am the world’s most interesting man.
- I don’t always wear a priest’s collar, but when I do, it’s usually cashmere. I am the world’s most interesting man.
We had a great deal of fun with it and Peter laughed right along with the crowd and of course it was done out of our sheer love and respect for a great man of faith.